my elbrus story -1

It was a cold wintry night. I was checking my emails in my Darjeeling flat. A new email from an unknown sender drew my attention. It was about a certain speed climbing up Mount Elbrus! How crazy and wild an idea! It fascinated me and challenged my dreams.
 
After Kilimanjaro in July 2005, Elbrus was always in my mind. I thought of Denali and Elbrus, not knowing to which mountain I would be able to go first. For Denali, I would certainly need a partner; but Elbrus I could climb on my own. Well thats what I thought and am glad now that I was right.
 
And so I replied that email. What followed was a series of email conversation with Yulia. Yulia Chunosova, an executive working for Top Sport Travel of St Petersberg. Together with Russianclimb.com they were organizing this race for the 4th consecutive time.
 
I read the history of Elbrus race and carefully considered the average time done by the former participants. I thought I could complete the race. Although in Himalaya, I dont reccommend climbing more than 600-800m a day;  on occassions, I have climbed 1600m-1800m in day and in good time!
 
The idea of climbing Elbrus was already there, now I had a chance to make it unique by participating in a speed climb. But if I failed to complete and meet all the criterias of the race, I would be in trouble and a second attempt would be a near impossibility due to costs.
 
So, I had one and only one chance. I had to do it. Defeat was not acceptable!
 


--
Adventure Mania
www.adventuremania.com
Real Adventure Journeys Across Himalaya
t:+91 97487 61139
m:+91 92305 11139

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Across The Sahara on a Bicycle

Trans Africa on a bicycle: solo: a tribute to H.W.Tilman

To the Mountains of the Moon: A Journey from Fiction to Facts