Count down to Elbrus Race!

Yesterday, coming out of the Russian Embassy in Kolkata, I realized, it's now getting real. With only one week to leave the country and less then a month for the race, the count down has begun! All the elements, all the last minute work, commitments, organization for the trips and work ahead has to be done now!The Shivling Expedition and Singalila Ridge trek in October, followed by the North Sikkim trek in November with my friend Haukur has got be arranged now. The flights, hotels, helicopters, train tickets for staff, and paper works! Its fun though and amazing to find out that it all works out in the end, with some tense moments of course! Because we live in country that believe in red tapism and paperworks religiousy. And all your plans can abruptly come to an end due to a political strike!



As for the race on Elbrus, it's something totally new for me. It's true that I work in high altitude and altitude itself is not a problem for me. Elbrus with it's altitude of 5642m should not pose any altitude related problem apparently. But when one has to climb (or should I say 'Race') to 5642m from 3700m within a time span of 6 to 8 hours; its a different equation altogether. So far the Elbrus Race 2008 has 20 participants.



Chances of getting AMS is extremely high...with only 2 nights in hand for acclimatization on elbrus, things going to be interesting. So far have not been able to train at all for this. But hoping to spend some good training days in the Alps, before I fly into Russia from Germany.



But here's how I am looking at the whole thing, it's going to be a new experience for me and I am going to learn a lot from it and in the end will be climbing Elbrus any way, the highest peak in Europe, thus it will be my second summit (after Kilimanjaro in 2005) of the 7 summits! I have got nothing to lose at all!



cheers!

Comments

michaels said…
Raja,
Exciting stuff! I have every confidence that with your fitness and organization skills this will be a great trip. I send you best wishes for a great adventure and a successful climb on Elbrus...
Looking forward to reading about this trip!!
warmly,
m

Popular posts from this blog

Across The Sahara on a Bicycle

Trans Africa on a bicycle: solo: a tribute to H.W.Tilman

To the Mountains of the Moon: A Journey from Fiction to Facts