Prologue to Africa Part V


When mountains become a mundane monotony



In the last episode of my blog (Prologue to Africa Part IV: Blanks on the map) I had talked about the exploratory trips that I had undertaken in 2011. But surely there were more to 2011 than just those three.

In July 2011, my old friend Martin Muecke and I dreamt of climbing Mount Satopanth (7075m). Michael Kohler joined in and the team became threesome.



Together with our Sherpa support team we were only 6 people ( Martin, Michael, Thendup, Lakpa, Mingma and myself) trying to get our way up the summit of Satopanth in a lightweight style and everything went well till the summit day.



After pitching our base camp in Vasuki Tal; we had set up an ABC and two further and higher camps putting us strategically located for the summit bid. On the summit day heavy smog engulfed us and the forecast ahead was of long, heavy snow days. We decided to turn back within 100m of the summit with not so happy faces.



Satopanth had other surprises in store.

While working our way up the mountain, on one of the load ferry days to the Advanced Base; Martin and I spotted something odd at the bottom of a moraine slope. When we got closer it was evident that we had stumbled upon an accident site.

It was a crushed, collapsed tent and from its torn areas emerged human body parts. I decided to get a closer look as I knew this could be the unfortunate lost trekkers (2010) of Kalindi Khal. Soon I was close and decided to open one of the backpacks in order to find some sort of identification. I requested Martin to take photographs as I opened one of the backpacks. Out came a plastic bag in which I soon found out an Indian flag along with a certain club flag (HDMLA). I was now sure that these 'were' the lost trekkers of kalindi.

Here is a link to that story as unfolded by the Indian media. They got my name wrong of course but close though! They called me "Alind Mukherjee"! They could have easily written " A blind Mukherjee" and later call it a typo! I like that!

It was a heavy feeling. I remember both me and Martin were in tears at the first shocking sight and for many nights after that whenever I closed my eyes the unfortunate and the dead visited.

I made sure that the news of sighting of their bodies reaches Kolkata as fast as possible hoping to start a process of recovery of the dead bodies for the last rights.

Much later, after the expedition to Satopanth was over and I had reached home myself; I saw a race (by a handful of West Bengal mountaineers) to claim publicity over the sad affair. Everyone was trying to present their case in a fashion that the credit of finding the poor souls belonged to them alone.

To those friends of mine I would like to say, I never seek any credit or glory in stumbling upon the unfortunate souls. I rather feel warned like a soft, yet cold deadly whisper; that I could be next. (I have intentionally not added any photographs of the lost trekkers here.)



The mountains and these relentless theatricals of climbing them were quickly becoming a mundane monotony for me and I wished for an escape.

The opportunity of getting away from the Indian Himalaya came in August 2011 as Rajeev Ranjan wanted to climb Mont Blanc and decided to take me along as his guide. Rajeev’s friend Bhavin Gandhi joined the party and soon we met in Chamonix.



We attempted Mont Blanc by the Gouter route. High wind stopped us from reaching its summit. Rajeev and me turned back from the Valot refuge. After a couple of days I climbed Mont Blanc du Tacul, a beautiful climb from the Aigle du Midi. That is another story but it was still not the escape I was longing for.




Comments

Raja. I can feel your anguish. I can understand your frustration. When we grew up we didn't have Television, internet, Facebook, Google. We had only the good old radio and our only window to the world was our books. Through our books we traveled around the world. Our books gave us our heroes, be it a real person like Captain Scott, Hiram Binghanm, Thor heyrdahl, George Mallory, Bimal Mukherjee, Amelia Earheart, Stanley or be it a fictitious hero like Captain Nemo, Captain Ahab or Bimal and Kumar, we worshiped them, idolized them, thrive on them. They captured our dreams. Out of all these heroes, still my favourite is SHANKAR of Chander Pahar, may be because of his banagali background i could feel his aspirations better than others, but still Shankar is very close to my heart.. (in fact, this feeling prompted me to publish translation of Chander Pahar in serialized form in TTIS)...Shankar became the Champion of all Champions to me. But he remained in the world of fiction. But when I met you few years back, again through TTIS, somehow I had a queer feeling that I have found my real Shankar in you. Years passed by, and the more I came to know about you, the more I felt the passion of adventure in you, the more I got to know about your sincere care and appreciation about our mother nature, the more I am got sure about my earlier feeling. You are my true hero bondhu.You are my dream come true - YOU ARE MY SHANKAR- THE ETERNAL ADVENTURER. That's why I can feel the inner vibrations, resonance of Your soliloquy. I am moved. I can understand your anguish, feel your frustration, absorb your desperation. Go ahead Raja. We all look up to you. Yours sincere follower and admirer. Biswanath Da
Tuareg Anindya said…
thank you so much for your comments BDG da. It matters to me. Please follow me through my blog as I travel across and down equator to capricorn. sincere regards

Popular posts from this blog

Across The Sahara on a Bicycle

Trans Africa on a bicycle: solo: a tribute to H.W.Tilman

To the Mountains of the Moon: A Journey from Fiction to Facts