Before it begins: A toast to my friends

It has taken me six (though very short) web logs to write something close to a prologue about my plans to undertake a long journey in Africa. Through them I have also tried to justify why I have this pathological need to experience Africa on a bicycle, alone. It was always in there, in me, this bohemian ‘me’, always wanting, craving to wander. And partly it is Mr. Tilman to blame, I guess.

My heart is full of excitement. I am excited in anticipation of the vastness of the unknown factors that lay ahead. Factors that will govern and dictate the fate of my journey. Factors that I cannot possibly imagine may be! And that is what making me alive, again.

In this episode I would like to mention my friends without whom my dream for this African journey would not have turned into a reality. People without whose support the stalemate of the mundane would have carried on and on.

First of all, it is, Mr. Sabyasachi Talukdar, the CEO and Editor, of Uttarbanga Sambad (www.uttarbangasambad.com) for believing in my project and extending invaluable financial support. Without his help the fate of my Africa dreams would have been seriously compromised.
With Mr. Sabyasachi Talukdar in his office at Kolkata


I will be contributing my articles, as I travel, in Bengali, to ‘Uttarbanga Sambad’ regularly. This daily newspaper is also available online.

I will be updating my blog, as and when I get a chance. For those who wish to follow me in English; this blog is the place.

The next person I must mention is Dr. Rupak Bhattacharya. In spite of his busy surgery schedule in C.M.R.I, Kolkata, he was always extremely enthusiastic about my project and gone out of his way to help me; from finding contacts in cities that I will be travelling through to planning my route. I owe a great deal to him; not just because of the enthusiasm and support for Africa, but also for doing a damn good lung surgery on me back in 2010. For me it is truly the second innings of my life! I am grateful. 
with Dr. Rupak Bhattacharya, during one of our many map study sittings in Kolkata


Next is Sri Biswanath Dasgupta, or should I say ‘BDG’. Through his messages and blogs he has been outstandingly inspiring; to many like me I am sure.

Then my old friend Martin Muecke, with whom I had raced in Elbrus (2008) and climbed Manirang (2009) and Satopanth (2011). He is truly a good friend and I am indebted to him for his support and help. 
Martin Muecke, at Nandanvan, on our way down from Satopanth, July 2011


And of course, my new mountain friend Ananth whom I met in Kalanag a few weeks back; his gesture of support touched my heart. 
with Ananth at Seema on our way out of Kalanag


Tomorrow I leave for Nairobi, Kenya. I will be flying to Mumbai tomorrow afternoon and then catch the Nairobi flight on very early morning of 21st June.

Today, as it happens, it’s my birthday and I have just turned 42. Now that I am officially middle aged, let’s begin this journey with a toast to all my friends. I wish I could play that Joe Cocker number for all of you. You know which one I am talking about: “...with a little help from my friend”...of course!

Cheers!


"...What would you do if I sang out of tune,
Would you stand up and walk out on me.
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song,
And I'll try not to sing out of key.
Oh I get by with a little help from my friends,
Mmm,I get high with a little help from my friends,
Mmm, I'm gonna try with a little help from my friends."


Comments

Arin Ghosh said…
Excellent description; keep going
Tuareg Anindya said…
Thank you very much for your comment Sir!

Popular posts from this blog

Across The Sahara on a Bicycle

Trans Africa on a bicycle: solo: a tribute to H.W.Tilman

To the Mountains of the Moon: A Journey from Fiction to Facts