Prologue to Africa: Part III


Rebirth in the hills: From the heartland of Garhwal to Unknown Spiti
Kuari Pass trek and the Singekang Expedition

Dunagiri and Nandadevi from Gorson top

The Kuari pass is a wonderful trail offering a grand panoramic view of many of the famous Himalayan summits like Chaukhamba 7138m, Nilkantha 6596m, Dunagiri 7066m, Kamet 7756m, Mana 7272m, Trishul 7120m and Nandaghunti 6309m and of course Nanda Devi (7816m) and yet just the trek one would like to take if he/she is taking their first steps in this “devabhumi”-the land of Gods, Garhwal.
Ronti, Trisul and Nandaghunti

By mid October, 2010, after overcoming massive landslides en route our team was in Auli, the starting point of our trek. The sight of Dunagiri and Nanda Devi was simply out of this world. For me it was like a rebirth in the hills. With every bout of violent cough I had, I knew I have come so far and there was no stopping. The mountains at night and at dawn were silent witness of my struggle (it was around those hours the nasty coughing bouts would visit me and stay with me for some time) for recovery and I felt blessed to be there beneath their shadow. I was also in good company. Arindamda ( Arindam Mukherjee), supportive as he always was, stood by my side from the hospital days to the meadows of Gorson. His friends (Bill Goers, Francois Lecerf, Madame Lecerf) and family (Sipra Mukherjee and Ruku) never let me feel like an outsider, a mere guide. It was an extended family out on a Himalayan hike. I will always have fond memories of Kuari Pass.
team posing on top of Kuari Pass

This Kuari Pass trek gave me another opportunity to check my lung performance and over all recovery once again. It was like a second level check after my days in Tumling, on the Singalila Ridge the month before and acted as a stepping stone prior to the dry and cold days of Singekang Expedition ahead. 
Singekang gorge

I knew what lay ahead of me in terms of Spiti and the job of exploring a completely unknown terrain. It certainly was not going to be easy for the following factors:

1-      Nothing was known about the valley we wanted to penetrate and hoped to climb the 6000m mountain at its head, Singekang. No one had gone there before us.
2-      The time of our expedition being end of October and through November, we knew this would be particularly cold
3-      We will have real hard time in finding porters

All the above fears came to be true. But in the end we overcame all odds because we were lucky to have an extra ordinary team. Alan’s (Alan Tees, then president of Mountaineering Ireland) mature leadership style and Jeremy’s (Dr Jeremy Windsor) experience had a synergistic effect on the rest of us (George Carleton, Sandra Kennedy, Andrew Tees, Martin Boner, Thendup Sherpa, and I).
high camp Singekang Expedition

No porters could be persuaded to work with us in spite of the intervention of my good friend Tsering Lara. I cannot blame them for that. Porters expect and need a trail. We did not have any. For many days my Sherpa crew and all the members had to force a route and ferry loads through the cold, unstable gorge of the Singekang stream and we eventually managed to set up a BC almost half way up the valley.

I had no plans to climb to the summit but managed to reach the high camp, while rest of the team put up a bold attempt on Singekang. During the assault, Jeremy got his toes frostbitten ( a legacy of Everest for him) and together with Andrew, I got down quickly to the road head Poh and then to Kaza, so that Jeremy can get to warmer and lower places soon. The rest of the team did a first ascent of a 5500m peak. Not a bad show after all!
Singekang, the ridge attempted is in the centre

One can read a brief report of Singekang Expedition 2010 in the link provided here:

My coughs did not fade away though. The coughing bouts seemed to last longer and grew violent sometimes with traces of blood coming out. Jeremy assured me that coughing in this high altitude was the best exercise I could give to my recovering lungs and that felt real good therapy to me!
my special room in the sakya abode hotel at kaza

2010 was coming to an end and what a year it had been! I had been close to death, a very painful one and before the year was over I was fortunate to be back on the mountains and the life I live for. I was already looking forward to new adventures. Work was not looking up in the first few months of 2011 and that gave me an opportunity to venture and plan out on some of my own projects - explorations around two of Indian Himalaya’s most admired mountain ranges, Nanda Devi and Kangchenjunga. Singekang remains unclimbed to this day. I have not had a chance to go back since. May be some day soon I will.

End of Part III                                                 
10th May, 2012

Comments

Riddho said…
Great Article, again..

Popular posts from this blog

Across The Sahara on a Bicycle

Trans Africa on a bicycle: solo: a tribute to H.W.Tilman

To the Mountains of the Moon: A Journey from Fiction to Facts