Prologue to Africa: Part II


Back on feet

22 days (18th July to 8th August 2010) in a hospital bed felt endless! My friends (including my school mates) and family members visited me almost every day. While it was nice to see that I was not alone it was hard to keep the sense of humor breathing in harmony. Future looked uncertain and I was getting restless deep inside.  My wife ‘Sangita’ and son ‘Ananda’ were my motivation in that nadir of my days and I focused myself in getting better.
Cartoon drawn by artist Sri Debasis Deb, who came to visit me quite a few times in the hospital


As soon as I was out of that hospital bed my hopes for getting back to the mountains began to intensify. I was able to walk longer and everyday felt a bit stronger and therefore a bit more confident. Another month passed and the drainage tube attached to my chest was finally removed around the beginning of September. It was around then I realized that if I can be fit by end September 2010, I will have work in October and November.

Prospect of work brought a lot of focus back in me indeed. I am thankful to Arindam Da( Arindam Mukherjee) and Alan Tees for having faith in me. Arindam da was planning to do a trek to Kuari Pass with his friends and family in October and Alan (then President of Mountaineering Ireland) was keen to organize an exploratory mountaineering expedition in the Indian Himalaya right after the Kuari Pass trek would be over. Deadline was set. Paper works and planning for the two back to back trips were on. I would have to be ready for starting the Kuari Pass programme by 10th October, 2010 and I had just about a month left to check and reaffirm to myself that I am capable of walking a mountain trail, breathe the thin air and not fall sick again. It was time to visit Darjeeling and Tumling.
Darjeeling


Tumling is around 9000ft above msl on the Singalila Ridge and seemed to me the perfect spot to put myself to test. While I could drive up there from Darjeeling via Manebhanjan in 3-4 hours and stay in the comfortable tea-house of ‘Nila Didi’ (Sikhar Lodge); I would be able to take long day walks every day, uphill and downhill, on a trail and off it sometimes. If I got sick by any chance it was easy to find a transport and head down to a hospital in Darjeeling. The plan looked good enough and by mid September we took the Darjeeling Mail. My father did not want me to go on my own and so along came he and Baidyajit 
(a good friend).
early morning walks in Darjeeling


Darjeeling is one of my all time favourite places on earth but that visit felt real special. We decided to spend a few days in Darjeeling first before heading for Tumling. Walking those familiar and dear roads of Darjeeling infused fresh enthusiasm in me and soon we were ready for Tumling.
approaching Tumling from Meghma during one of my many afternoon training walks


While in Tumling I took it very seriously and began to push myself each day with longer walks around Tonglu and Joubari. My whole body ached, muscles were tired easily. I could not afford to allow my body more rest days to recuperate. Soon, after a couple of days of determined hikes and a healthy dose of wholesome food prepared by Nila Didi’s kitchen, I was beginning to feel confident. I was rediscovering myself all over again and my body was regaining its rhythm, balance and strength. Thus at Tumling in a late September afternoon of 2010 I realized I belong to the mountains. They are part of my existence, an extension of my soul.
Kitchen, Sikhar Lodge, Tumling
The mountains of Singalila had helped me get back on feet. I knew I was ready for leading groups. First the Kuari Pass trek and then an exploratory mountaineering venture to an unknown valley in Spiti.

End of Part II                                                                                                   6th May, 2012

Comments

Nishith said…
Way to go Raja. You 've come a long way. Best of Luck...
BTW, I too 've very fond memories of the Singalila ridge trek.
Cheers!

Popular posts from this blog

Across The Sahara on a Bicycle

Trans Africa on a bicycle: solo: a tribute to H.W.Tilman

To the Mountains of the Moon: A Journey from Fiction to Facts