'The Financially Feasible Five'

Not so long back, I used to dream of climbing the highest mountains of all the seven continents on earth...'the seven summits'. But it did not take me long to realize that, getting the fund is always much more difficult than actually climbing any of the seven!

Back in 2004, my good friend Haukur Parelius of Iceland (www.mountainfriends.com) made a very interesting comment. Back then, he had already climbed 5 out of the 7 and he called them the ' Financially Feasible Five'! Take Everest and Vinsson Massif out of the dream project, and it becomes a lot more feasible indeed! He did inspire me that day and even to this day, I have not given up my dream.

But, let's accept the fact that, for an average Indian citizen, it still is very 'financially challenging proposition'!

But I have always welcomed challenges in my life, I think they are fun anyway. I don't have to do a speed record. I can take my whole life to reach the summits of these 'famous five' and thats exactly what I am going to do!

In 2005, I hiked up Kilimanjaro. It was a great experience indeed! Now this year, in 2008, I am all set to hike up Mt Elbrus. But this will not be just a tourist visit for me, because I have commited myself to yet another crazy thing; I will be taking part in speed climbing race!!! Blimey!

Atleast, If I get AMS, I won't have to blame any one else, but me!

For more info on this unique and crazy race you can log on to: www.elbrusspeedclimb.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Across The Sahara on a Bicycle

Trans Africa on a bicycle: solo: a tribute to H.W.Tilman

To the Mountains of the Moon: A Journey from Fiction to Facts