2008: Year of the Magic Panda

A tranquil January morning.I was trying to meditate on top of a hill near Tonglu. Tonglu is on the Singalila Ridge and over 3000m above sea level. Considering January, it was quite nice and warm that morning and I could see the sun rise over the ridges of Tiger Hill. I dont remember how long I sat there..but soon I heard something close by. As I leaned forward to locate the source of the noise; I saw a red panda! For the very first time I saw a red panda in the wild, and from so close proximity! When I came down to Tumling and shared the incident, every one exclaimed on how lucky I was! Alice had said," may be that was a magic panda!"

Well, magic panda or not, this year so far has been harsh, hectic and humbling for me. I have led 2 treks on the Singalila Ridge, led a climb on Mt kalanag in West Garwal, led an exploration climbing in Panpatia glacier, took a group over Rupin Pass in Himachal Pradesh. I have started building a guest house in a remote North Sikkim village and also hope to keep my Porter Shelter and Medical Post in Bhujbas to move forward!

Lot of hard work, lot of commitment, and no short supply of dreams!

More than half of 2008 now behind, and dreams, at least some of them are now a bit challenged! I am not confident to say ' that one should follow his/her heart' anymore. I am hurt, injured. But not crippled! A fire in the North Sikkim village destroyed all the logs and bamboo I bought for the construction of the huts! And some one who brought a lot of colour and music in my life is not there for me anymore!

But here I am, still standing! :-)

Right now I am getting prepared for a trip to Germany and then on to Russia. I am participating in a speed climbing competition on Mt Elbrus. Interesting and very challenging proposition indeed!

But I neither have the experience, nor I am able to train myself properly for that competition. Still am hoping to find some sponsorship, so that I dont have blow away all my savings...again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Across The Sahara on a Bicycle

Trans Africa on a bicycle: solo: a tribute to H.W.Tilman

To the Mountains of the Moon: A Journey from Fiction to Facts