2017: another year in aimless wandering

The morning of 31st December, 2017 makes me wonder yet again- what if I never wandered off the beaten path? How different would my life have been if I had stuck to the syllabus laid down before me by my society and economics? After all, what is the use of living this wanderer's life; if in the end of all my adventures, I have to come back repeatedly to the society for its recognition and beg for its support?  The freedom I find through my adventures loses all its sanity instantly when I try to sell it. But nevertheless I keep going, in hope, that someday soon my society will respect an adventurer and will not deem his or her stories aimless or pointless anymore.



The year 2017 saw me bike across the Sahara desert by its Atlantic route. Here is a YouTube link to the story:




And here is my full Sahara story broken down in two different blog posts:

Inception and Execution

The Route and Description

Later this year (July) I helped a group of young aspiring Indian mountaineers climb a 6000m mountain in Spiti, Himachal Pradesh. I have been providing mountaineering support across the Indian Himalaya for the past 16 years and have been part of 55 expeditions and numerous treks in the process with safety and success. This expedition was no exception.



I was also part of another climbing expedition (Sudarshan and Saife, Garwal Himalaya, Organized by South Calcutta Trekkers Association) in September. It was too difficult for me to turn down the beckoning of climbing in the famous Gangotri glacier region and the expedition successfully climbed both the objectives.


In October-November, I was back in my favourite part of the Himalaya to continue exploring the unknown sections of the great east ridge of Kangchenjunga. It was truly delightful when we could explore a new col on the great east ridge itself, a col that would serve as a parallel route connecting the Kishong and Zemu valleys.


Sometime in between these adventures I was invited to take part in a very popular game show hosted by a cricket superstar in television. It was an unique and funny experience.


But the best moment for me this year was the Telegraph School Awards. I felt humbled, honoured and inspired to share the stage with real life heroes of our society. Read the REAL stories of courage and dream in the link here: 
https://www.telegraphindia.com/1170827/jsp/frontpage/story_169383.jsp


The last month of the year saw me bouldering, rock climbing and camping with friends and I felt truly wonderful surrounded by the young and the curious. 


Will 2018, for me, be any different? I doubt. My struggle with managing finances will continue and my society will still consider my wanderings aimless and pointless. But I will keep doing what I have been doing; with humility, knowledge and courage. I am a social drop out after all, by will.  What will you do? 

Comments

KS said…
Awesome achievements!! Congrats and Best Wishes for 2018
Unknown said…
I am one of the person who had the privilege to meet you on the great east ridge of Himalayas. I had no idea with whom I was having that small conversation. Cheers. All the best for future en-devour. I hope to accompany you on the same east ridge to the unknown.

Popular posts from this blog

Across The Sahara on a Bicycle

Trans Africa on a bicycle: solo: a tribute to H.W.Tilman

To the Mountains of the Moon: A Journey from Fiction to Facts