The Sahara Quartets

The Sahara Quartets

My route of cycling by the Atlantic route of the Sahara

As I started to pedal my way across the Atlantic route of the Sahara, on the very first day a rhyming quartet came humming in my mind. It was inspired by a conversation at a shop where I stopped en route that day. I tweeted that when I reached Tan Tan, just for fun. When Agnidip Mukherjee, a friend, a poet, liked it and wrote words of encouragement; I decided to stay at it. Thus for over next 3 weeks, almost everyday, whether I rode or took rest; I wrote a quartet. Each was inspired either by the people I met or the elements of the desert itself. Just for fun. There were 34 such. 

Agnidip had called it the 'Sahara Quartet' and I liked the coinage. I have put them together here knowing fully well that I do not have what it takes to be a poet. But since they are harmless little quartets after all, there is no harm in sharing I guess. Read at your own risk.  

( Note: Photos and the text are mine. If anyone wishes to use any part or whole please contact me for permission. I am a very famous poet after all.) 




1
The wind is high
The desert is hot.
When they ask my religion
                                       Cool it is not. (28 February, Guelmim to Tan Tan)


2
Miles of nothingness
Canopy of blue
If you’re able to live this
                                             Blessed are you. (1 March, El Outia to Akhfenir)


3
What is your blessing?
Who’s your God?
Well, if I see him
                                           I’ll give you a nod. (2 March, Akhfenir to Tarfaya)


4
The ride to Tarfaya
They said its the best.
The wind thought otherwise
                                      And decided to take my test. (2 March, Akhfenir to Tarfaya)


5
Wind is not my ally
Sand is not my friend.
When I get to Laayoune
                                         Will this woe come to an end? (3 March, Tarfaya to Laayoune)



6
Today I reached Laayoune
Where the Saharwi live.
I earned a day of rest
                            Or so I would like to believe. (3 March, Laayoune)


7
I went to a cafe
The most popular in town.
People saw Syria bleed in tele
                              And drank coffee to wash it down. (3 March, Laayoune)


8
The galaxy isn’t counting on me
Neither with me is the force.
Yet I must finish what I began
                             As a matter of fact of course. (4 March, Laayoune)


9
If you see camels on the freeway
They could be anywhere, you see?
If you see a bicycle in a desert
                                            Could be a mirage, or may be its me. (5 March, Laayoune to Boujdour)


10
I am a slave of my dream
It takes me nowhere.
But I keep chasing it
                                              Like a meaningless game of dare. ( 5 March, Laayoune to Boujdour)



11
After each day of pause
My mind is put to a test
Can I do it? Can I go on?
                           Don’t know yet but will do my best. ( 6 March, Boujdour)



12
Distance is nothing
It is just part of the way.
Wind is everything
                                                 It can make or break my day. (7 March, Boujdour to Cafe Amghar)



13
East South East is manageable
South East is bad.
North wind is favourable
                                                             South wind is just sad. (8 March, Cafe Amghar to centre Bir Anzarane)



14
Meaningless or with less meaning
Put it however you may.
Adventure is a way of life
                                                    That’s all I would like to say. (8 March, Cafe Amghar to centre Bir Anzarane)


15
Everyday the road awaits me
By now it knows me well.
Everything is going to be fine
                                                 If not on past we dwell. (9 March, Bir Anzarane to Dakhla)


16
In the middle of the desert
I saw a city with no one.
It was built for some reason
                           Now it is ruined for none. (10 March, Dakhla)


17
Good things happen to good people
A good friend said this line.
I will let this linger in my head
                         Till its over and all is fine. (10 March, Dakhla)


18
I do not have this wish
To be a wise man
When all I can do is nothing
                          Almost nothing I can. (10 March, Dakhla)


19
Why are you crossing the desert?
It is giving you nothing but pain.
Well, I am searching for something
                                          And I hope it won’t go in vain. (12 March, Imlil to a shop in the middle of nowhere)


20
Well if you’re searching for something
Have you considered your soul?
It seems I am lost dear brother
Will you help me find my goal? (12 March)


21
A goal is a different thing
Everyone has his own.
Searching soul is another matter
          Not in every garden it is grown. (12 March)


22
It is blowing in the wind they said
I only found it rough.
Every time we spoke face to face
            My going became tough. (12 March)

23
If its not the wind that gives you clue
You better ask around.
Have you spoken to the sand? Or the thorn?
                               Did they say it can be found? (13 March, Bir Gandouz)


24
I have asked a few questions
If you want to hear.
Why can’t people live without fear?
Instead of peace why choose war?


25
What makes people smile or cry?
What makes people dear?
What makes people blind?
                                   And what makes them hear? (14 March, Guerguerate)


26
For all these questions all I got
Is a momentary stare.
Then came the wind like a grumpy host
                                                 Telling me why do I care? (15 March, Guerguerate to Bou Lanoar)


27
I care because of love and hope
I care because of you.
I care about this blessing of life
                                             And do believe that so do you. (16 March, Bou Lanouar to unnamed settlement)


28
I crossed a field of landmines
A vast piece of land.
Power and greed was at play here
              Now no nation wants its sand. (16 March)


29
I came across this village
Asked for shelter and for food
In the end i got this feeling
                                           I better leave for my own good. (17 March, Unnamed Settlement to Gare du Nord)


30
If I could choose the color of my skin
I would kill the devil within
Then it wouldn’t matter
                                If I am black, white or green. (18 March, Nouakchott)




31
When the fear is real
And the message is clear.
They think you are the devil
                                 You better get out of here. (19 March,  Nouakchott)



32
But the country I am from
Is not too far from shame.
It celebrates the same
                 Dogma and blind God game. (19 March)



33
Crossing this desert alone
Is more a mind game
Anyone with some courage and dream
                 Can do it all the same. (20 March, Nouakchott to Tiguent)


34
Between the things we get
And the things we celebrate
Flows a desert
                 Lest we forget. (22 March, St. Louis, Senegal) 





35

A random gift of goodness
Is what we have called life.
Let us live it, love it thoroughly
Without all meaningless strife. 


You can read about my journey in the following blog posts:

Inception and Execution

Route and Description




Comments

Unknown said…
Oshadharon :-) , just fabulous... really amazing... just to say, you are a real inspiration Anindya Da, you keep teaching us how to dream it, how to feel it. Just return here safely. We all are eagerly waiting for you,

Regards,
NIHAL SARKAR
subha77pal said…
অসাধারন
Tuareg Anindya said…
I am back home Nihal. :)
amazing and inspiring journey! Regards!

Popular posts from this blog

Across The Sahara on a Bicycle

Trans Africa on a bicycle: solo: a tribute to H.W.Tilman

To the Mountains of the Moon: A Journey from Fiction to Facts