What we did in 2008! A report from Adventure Mania...

2008~Year of the Magic Panda!

 

4 mountaineering expeditions, 6 summits, 5 treks, 1 cleaning expedition on the Singalila Ridge,1 charitable project for mountain porters,1 crazy race on Mount Elbrus, many new friends, fire in Sikkim project, no accidents or sickness in any of our trips…that's 2008 for Adventure Mania…and another year in a mountain guide's life!

 

Cold, crisp 3000m air on the Singalila Ridge, rising Sun over Tiger Hill in the distance, mighty Kangchendzonga massif shining, smiling over the North. Short of breath as I ran up the hill, I suddenly realized this is where it all started for me. Singalila Ridge has always been like home coming. I was only 4 years when I had come here for the first time. I was with my parents. Back then in 1975, they did not have all the tea houses and so many people around. Since that first visit, I have been on the Singalila Ridge, trekking with friends, leading groups; for more than 50 times! I have lost count.

 

I was lost in nostalgia and sat down on top of a boulder. It felt comfortable, I felt at home! It was then the Red Panda appeared from behind a bush. It wasn't expecting a human on top of that hill on a January morning; neither have I ever imagined seeing a Red Panda in the wild, especially on the Singalila Ridge!

 

I guess we both had that element of being surprised in our eyes. So we looked into each others eyes for a few minutes. We were both calm and then he turned and left. I wanted to follow, but I wish I could!

 

Back in my tea house room, when I mentioned the encounter, she said, it must be a 'magic panda'! Today, as I write this report, I sincerely believe that it WAS a 'magic panda'! Because, me as a 'Himalayan Guide' and 'Adventure Mania' as a company excelled in 2008!

 

In 2008, we did 4 mountaineering expeditions! They include Kalanag (6387m), Unnamed Peaks in Panpatia Glacier (we climbed 4 unclimbed peaks ranging 5200m to 5678m), Shivling- West Ridge (6543m) and unnamed peak( 6000m) in West Sikkim. We missed the summit of Shivling as we could not force a route on the blue water ice wall over 6100m. It was a tough decision to turn back, but safety rules. So after Adventure Mania's 6 years of operation in the Indian Himalaya, and 18 full scale mountaineering expeditions, we haven't had a single accident!

 

Apart from the mountaineering ventures, we did 5 treks. From North Sikkim to Himachal Pradesh, from Tholung Monastery to Rupin Pass, all the treks were successful and they kept us on our toes through out the year.

 

Me as a Himalayan Guide and Adventure Mania feel proud to organize and guide The Right Honourable The Lord Mance, and Lady Arden on their Singalila Ridge trek. I am thankful to Sri Milan Kumar Banerjee, former Attorney General of India and His Lordship Biswanath Somadder for their trust on me as Himalayan Guide.

 

Adventure Mania continues to work with Community Action Treks, U.K. and is proud to be associated with Doug Scott and his charity efforts. Di has retired, but its fun to interact with Captain Tek. Adventure Mania is also very fortunate to have worked with Alan Tees, President, Mountaineering Council of Ireland and his team in Panpatia Glacier Exploration climbing. I am thankful to The Iceland Garhwal Expedition for entrusting upon us the responsibility of leading and guiding their Shivling West Ridge expedition in October 2008. I am of course ever thankful to my friend Haukur Parelius Finsson (Nature Explorer Iceland), for standing by me and enriching me with his brilliant marketing ideas.

 

Thendup has done some fantastic work as my lead Sherpa this year again and so is Kiran. He is coming up very well with his strength and rock climbing skills. Very soon Kiran will be ready to assist Thendup in high mountains. Mingma and Indra are outstanding mountain chefs. They are the real heroes of Adventure Mania.

 

But the newest member to the Adventure Mania family is Hilde Wasserfall. Hilde is a Yoga Instructor from Germany, who is also a keen trekker. With her help we are going to introduce Yoga sessions in some of our Himalaya Treks.

 

Now, if you will excuse me, I have plans to make for 2009. Mountains to climb, glaciers to reccee, passes to cross and friends to make! If you want to join any of our trips, treks, expeditions please email me.

 

Cheers! Happy Holidays! Merry Christmas!!! To one and all!

 

 



--
Adventure Mania
www.adventuremania.com
http://himalaya-raja.blogspot.com
Real Adventure Journeys Across Himalaya
t:+91 97487 61139p
m:+91 92305 11139

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Across The Sahara on a Bicycle

Trans Africa on a bicycle: solo: a tribute to H.W.Tilman

To the Mountains of the Moon: A Journey from Fiction to Facts